Rocks'n'Diamonds?

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

HardcoreVeteran272

Rocks'n'Diamonds?

Post by HardcoreVeteran272 »

I was wondering, whatever happened to this? It hasn't been updated since 2010 despite plans to import the native Boulder Dash and Supaplex engines.
The forum has also been down for maintenance for nearly 3 years.
Has the project died?
artsoft

Post by artsoft »

Hello! Just found this post again (wanted to reply a long time ago, but apparently forgot about it), and thought I might write some things about the current state of R'n'D development.

First of all, Rocks'n'Diamonds is not dead, but still actively developed (although development has really slowed down a bit due to the usual real world issues like family and work). Regarding game engine integration, the native Boulder Dash game engine still has to be added (and will most probably be based on the GDash engine, I think). This is more of a future task, as I'm currently working on some other things (as described below). Regarding the native Supaplex game engine, this one was successfully added a few release versions ago, and it is indeed 100% compatible to the original DOS game version of Supaplex. (It is even a bit more compatible than MegaPlex, which it is based on, as it also supports some dirty off-playfield memory misuse tricks that only worked in the DOS version before, but this only affects a small number of levels.)

Regarding the R'n'D forum, this one is also back again. (Read the last few posts from the "Announcements" section for some more info on this.)

Regarding current development, the main changes of the upcoming version 4.0.0.0 will be SDL2 support, which will bring some nice things like better fullscreen support and a scalable window for the desktop mode (as the original window was really very small on today's monitors).

There will also be Android support for the new version (and it already works quite fine on a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3). (It should also be possible to compile it for iOS, but for now I am not willing to pay 99$/year to Apple to be able to create a freeware game, so there won't be a compiled and packaged version for iPhone and iPad for now.)

Again, I would love to add a native BD engine, as it is planned for a long time now, but I think this is more of a future mile stone at the moment...