Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index Boulder Dash Forum
The only Boulder Dash discussion board in English language!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alchemyst Dig!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
altermaven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Alchemyst Dig! Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes another viewpoint to determine the quality of my work -- and also, dare I say: what is conventional?

I only have "Vol. 01" available at the moment and I'm open to feedback. Made in GDash, and it's preferred to use GDash, even though the sets are provided in BDCFF format.

Vol. 01 uses the following engine tricks:

- BD1 amoeba transform via magic wall, in some levels
- BD2 slime
- Bonus Life on Intermission complete
- Horizontally expanding walls (in later caves)
- vertical wrap in one cave to peruse the namesake of the cave Smile

In short: it's pseudo-vanilla. Higher levels mean shorter delays, extra weirdness and hazards, and potentially stricter requirements.

But what do I know? I think it's alright in my book, but I want to know from you.
So, why not grab it here?

Looking forward to any and all feedback. Cheers!
Dustin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great!
But I don't see a download section... how can I download the .bd file and play the game? Smile
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
altermaven

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops!

Go to Code > Download ZIP! It will pack everything up and you can just drop them at the most convenient spot for you.

I should add that to the README!

EDIT: Just sent the ZIPs to Arno via email, hopefully we get entries in the BDGB so you don't have to hassle with the github. Smile
Dustin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I downloaded the file and already played through Alchemyst Dig 1 level 1. It was simple but fun! Let's see how hard the higher levels are! In any case, I like the 5 level concept very much! Very Happy
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
altermaven

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin wrote:
Nice! I downloaded the file and already played through Alchemyst Dig 1 level 1. It was simple but fun! Let's see how hard the higher levels are! In any case, I like the 5 level concept very much! Very Happy

Glad you enjoyed it. Also, appreciate the input on what needs a bit more improvement. My general thing regarding higher levels is basically one of these things:

- Stricter time limits / reduced delays
    - Reduced times on level mechanics (amoeba/walls)
    - More annoyances in some levels
    - Increased quotas

I didn't want to go too clutch on near the end, but the last cave on L5 says something different if you reach it. Smile
altermaven

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

There is a known bug in Alchemyst Dig! Vol.2 cave X level 3, in which there is not enough diamonds to complete the level. I forgot to change the RNG seed for this level. A fix is forthcoming.

Edit: The zips and individual files are updated on the github. Simply overwrite to apply. (Hiscores table will be lost. Sorry.)

Edit 2: An impossibility issue in Vol.2 cave III level 4 was fixed, simply replacing a blocking boulder with a dirt element. The zips and individual files are updated again.
altermaven

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An EX (Extra) version of Alchemyst Dig! Vol.01's "Cave 7 Level 5" is up on the BD site, and the conditions were changed.

- 210 of the diamonds are needed.
- Different permeability on the slime (because the GDash version uses C64 permeability).
- Instead of time limit, it is now "penalty based on time expired", so cleverness and temptation might be needed for high scoring.

My goal for the EX versions of these caves is simply to make it a bit more challenging. I also invite people to make more difficult versions of these caves if you can. One possibility when designing this EX was to remove the slime, but it just becomes a whole sorting factor and it kinda ruins the thematic.

Because the level is now "penalty based on time expired" I greatly increased the score per diamond, so there's no possibility of getting zero points (unless you take a very long time Wink )

I also made the first "Stripes" level utilizing the free-flowing omnidirectional wrap. I'll probably make some renditions of the Dig 02 levels that don't rely on GDash's bizarre changes (so sadly, no "flutterprinter" or the like).

Also, if you feel Dig 02's ANCIENT 5 cave (A5) looks a little familiar, it's based off of Boulder Dash NES' 6-3..

EDIT: All current EX levels on Krissz's site:
Dig 01 C6L3: No magic wall to stop amoeba
Dig 01 C13L1: Old design of this cave involving leading butterflies to amoeba
Dig 01 C17L5: All walls are horizontally expanding, not just the bottom row. Same exact diamond count.
Dig 02 Ancient 4: More butterflies, normal amoeba (same 100-count limit but in normal fashion becomes boulders); moved exit.

More will come..
altermaven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do note I've not abandoned this and said that Vol.1/2 is done. I'm kinda active on KrissZ's site but I'm also slowly working on Vol.3 at the moment.

One goal I have in mind eventually is to bring the B-sides version of Vol.1 to GDash. However, it's not exactly optimised for straight play; these levels, instead, are more or less alternate versions of the levels for the purpose of score attack. Some variants of levels I have on the BD online site might show up in Vol.3, but I won't release the details, as 1) I haven't decided yet and 2) the spoiler potential might give a few players a heads-up. ;D

That being said, I love hearing about any nuances in existing caves that either make things too difficult and/or create unsolveability situations. Let me know about these and I'll patch them ASAP.
altermaven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol.03 is submitted to Arno and it will show up in the BD Gamebase soon. Links on my BDCFF github will be added soon(tm). GDash is recommended for playing Vol.03!

EDIT: Oops. There was a problem in Cave X/3. It should be fixed now. Sorry!
altermaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's been brought up oh so nicely, you will note that certain gem names in Alchemyst Dig! Vol.01 are ... made up. Here's the list of gems and the nod references I am making:

Cave 4: "Uridium" is a C64 game by Andrew Braybrook and it's actually a mineral, not a gem.

Cave 14: "Ebonite" is the name of corrupted stone in Terraria.

Cave 17: "Obsidian" is also a nod to both Terraria and Minecraft, which was formed when lava and water clashed. Hence why the cave title is "Heat" Wink

Cave 19: "Psychophelenium" is derived from "Psychopheles", the project moniker I used when I was using "Alter-Maven" as a project name in 2003 (I since then ditched the hyphen and "Altermaven" is who I am). It was short lived hence the cave title "Hallucination"

Cave 20: "Scintillarium" would come up in Dig! 03, it is raw prismacite, a hardened substance that seems to have prismatic qualities, but in Dig! 01, it's used for "timeless" recipes.

Cave 21: Luminite is a mineral, not a gem. It's found from the last main boss in Terraria, hence the cave title "Peril"

Cave 24: Mesmerium is an allusion to "mesmerism" which is an illusionary trick of the eyes.

INT 3: Upsidedownium is a play on the mineral "Upsidaisium" which is a fictional mineral in the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons.

Full list of imaginary materials:

CAVE 2: "Magicarium"
CAVE 4: "Uridium"
CAVE 6: "Dazzlestone"
CAVE 12: "Shimmerstone"
CAVE 14: "Ebonite"
CAVE 18: "Wonderstone"
All of CAVE 19-26 is made up

All of the INT levels, excluding 4 and 6, are made up. Believe it or not, moonstone is a derivation of feldspar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: