Upgrade of this forum

Announcements and ideas/discussions concerning this forum

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Upgrade of this forum

Post by Arno »

This forum has been upgraded to the latest version of phpBB, version 3.3.10.

In my tests all features seem to work well. Please let me know if you encounter issues.

It is however possible that your password no longer works (due to the utf-8 based handling of passwords in the new phpBB version). In this case, the advise is to use the "I forgot my password" link on the login page.

Keep on posting and playing the best game ever!! :cheers:
Dustin

Re: Upgrade of this forum

Post by Dustin »

Hi Arno!
The forum didn't work for me during the last week, but now it works fine again, although it takes a few seconds to load. It also looks very nice :D

However, I still can't open the Game Base. If I click on it, then only the background (with the BD cave elements) appears but the Game Base doesn't load.

EDIT The old forum had one feature which I quite liked, which seems no longer available: on the main forum page where the six forum categories are listed, it was already possible to see who made the last post in each category, and when. Woulc it be possible to add this feature again? It was a very practical overview! :)
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
Arno
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade of this forum

Post by Arno »

Some additional notes:

Email notifications:
It seems that due to the upgrade of this forum you are by default NOT notified via email when, for example, you receive a PM or someone replies on a topic which you are following. This means that if you do not log on here regularly, you might miss such events...
I recomment to all of you:
Go to your User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options, and revise your email notification settings.

BB code for embedded youtube videos:
I have added a BB code which you can use in your posts to embed any youtube video. The syntax is as follows:

Code: Select all

[youtube]VideoID[/youtube]
Here, VideoID is the ID/string of the video as you can find in the URL of the video.
All old posts have been adjusted as well, such that the embedded videos are working again.
Dustin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:06 amHowever, I still can't open the Game Base. If I click on it, then only the background (with the BD cave elements) appears but the Game Base doesn't load.
That's correct. The Game Base the Quizes on my BD homepage have been broken by a forced PHP update by my webhosting provider. For this forum, which was also broken for the same reason, the solutions was to just upgrade the phpBB forum software to the latest version (plus some manual adjustments). For the other pages, I'm sorry but it will take a bit longer, because this code is my own and I'll need to adjust it according to the new PHP standards.
Dustin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:06 amEDIT The old forum had one feature which I quite liked, which seems no longer available: on the main forum page where the six forum categories are listed, it was already possible to see who made the last post in each category, and when. Would it be possible to add this feature again? It was a very practical overview! :)
This apparently depends on whether you view the forum on a smartphone or pc. On a pc, I can still see the username+timestamp of the last post. On a smartphone, the layout has become a bit simpler and some detailed information like what you mentioned is missing, probably to make to forum more suitable to be viewed on a small screen. :)
Arno
Site Admin

Site fully functional again

Post by Arno »

The Game Base (BDGB) and the two Quizes on my Boulder Dash homepage have been updated and fixed. Admittedly, it was not an easy task and it took
quite some time to find how the code (and database) needed to be updated...

But the job has been done, and now the BD site will hopefully stay up for some more years again. Cheers! :party: