Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

CWS

Post by CWS »

I like the 2.5D version of Boulder Dash XL (from Kalypso Media). Looks nice. Moreover the effects are great! :)
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

This thread has been dormant for a while.

Has there been any progress on the GDash front? Any improvements, changes, new features, etc?
CWS

Post by CWS »

It seems to be on hold for the last two years. It would certainly be nice to see some progress as it's the best Boulder Dash remake I've ever encountered...
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Seems to have suddenly gone missing. Gee, I'm glad I've got my GDash secured, I'd hate to have to download it because it isn't there to be downloaded or at least it seems...

I've been trying to get on to the website and it's not there any more. I just get a vague 404 error. Strangely enough, it disappeared not long after I tried to resurrect this thread ;)

I wonder if it will be up again...maybe a new version is in the works?

The pessimistic side of me says that it's been pulled, never to return, and we'll never see it again.
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Yep, it's exactly ONE week since I resurrected this thread and POOF it's gone.
subotai

Post by subotai »

benjamind2011 wrote:...and POOF it's gone.
EDIT: Removed dead links
Last edited by subotai on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Thanks for that Subotai! That will be of enormous help to keep this alive for those who were not aware of the original website and GDash.

Subotai, I have a version of GDash where the only change is that the flash color was changed to white instead of the yellowish color. Let me know if you would like to put it up. There is no other difference except the flash color is white which IMHO looks better.

But my question still burns within, I wonder what happened to the original site? I wonder why it happened within one week of me resurrecting this thread. Strange indeed.

I wonder if Czirkos is working on a new GDash?

If not, I might have a crack at it and develop an OpenGL version with fluid scrolling in a fixed window/full screen. The game part I'm sure won't be that easy but definitely possible. The editor will be the harder one to get working as there are just so many parameters to understand that I find it hard to know where to begin.
subotai

Post by subotai »

Hi benjamind2011,

You've lost me. This is the website of cirix, only the URL's have changed. I'm sure that it only was a coincidence and has nothing to do with your question.
benjamind2011 wrote:If not, I might have a crack at it and develop an OpenGL version with fluid scrolling in a fixed window/full screen.
Would be really nice. And if you keep the GTK Version as it is and just update the Sdash (SDL) Version. I also thought about fixing the value for slime permeability in plck-games in the any2gdash-converter. This really is no big deal.
benjamind2011 wrote:I wonder if Czirkos is working on a new GDash?
I don't think that cirix still works on Gdash. Besides, you used his family name ;-) In Hungary, you write the family name first followed by the first name.

I'm sure that Arno would also host a new version of Gdash on his website. Just ask him.
cirix

new gdash website

Post by cirix »

Hi

I moved the source code and installer to google code: http://code.google.com/p/gdash/ .

Sometimes I do work on GDash, but I have much less time to do it than I had years ago. The project is not dead, just - hibernated :D My own plans are the same, to make an OpenGL version. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it seems to interface OpenGL with GTK+ in a platform-independent manner. Also, the new GTK+-3.0 is still not stable on Windows. I would not recommend anyone working on the 20100212 version that was released that long ago, because since that time I have made many improvements, and rewritten the whole thing in C++. However, it is not yet stable (the editor sometimes crashes).

cirix
cirix
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

I understand now. Is the new GTK causing the instability in the editor.
I would love to see how GDash is progressing.

Would you be able to tell us what these improvements are? The version I use is very playable. The scrolling isn't fluid but I think that is because of GTK.

Anyway it is still the very best boulderdash clone out there!
CWS

Post by CWS »

I would also be interested in the new improvements! :)

I do not think the editor could be even etter than it's now - because I think it's absolutely perfect! But the game itself, SDash, would look much better with some kind of arcade-like presentation. I like the games from Raptisoft - they have a really perfect arcade-like GUI.

I hope the new version will still work with MacOS X!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There seems to be a bug in editor when drag'n'dopping within the object list. Most of the time, it works, but I get random crashes quite frequently as well. Cut and paste, on the other hand, works fine there.
cirix

F2 as suicide key

Post by cirix »

Hey guys,
does anyone remember why F2 was chosen to be the suicide key?
cirix
cirix
cirix

New GDash

Post by cirix »

Hi BD fans,
I uploaded a new UNSTABLE version of gdash to http://code.google.com/p/gdash/ .
Many parts of the game have changed. This is a big rewrite of the original. I tried to unite the two programs (three, including the replay saver...), so that I do not have to implement everything twice. I also fixed small bugs (maybe introduced many new during the rewrite - this version is unstable.)
The replay saver is now built into the SDash version. Fullscreen can be activated any time by pressing F11. A volume panel appears for F9. And caves have stereo sound!!
My question is the following: which version of the UI you like better. The GDash version (with editor) now has a hybrid, unfinished UI, in which some of the dialogs (file opening, message boxes) come with modern message dialogs. Do you think the game should look like that, or maybe only the editor should come with the modern, GTK+ based UI?
More to come. :D
cirix
cirix
CWS

Post by CWS »

Congrats to the new version! :)

I only want to mention that I liked the old preferences dialog more in GDash then the new one from SDash as it was neatly arranged. If you want to keep the SDash prefs dialog maybe you can use the old one in the editor additionally?