Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

cirix

Post by cirix »

CWS wrote:I only want to mention that I liked the old preferences dialog more in GDash then the new one from SDash as it was neatly arranged. If you want to keep the SDash prefs dialog maybe you can use the old one in the editor additionally?
Ok, that's +1 for "uniting gdash and sdash is ok, but the editor version should have nice dialog boxes." :D
cirix
CWS

Post by CWS »

What's wrong with this? The nice dialog boxes should be available in the editor only. That's why the editor should be like a professional tool with a modern GUI and the game itself has an arcade like gui. This is totally ok that way, I think.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

+2 now :D

But I noted a bug concerning intermissions (somehow):

Whwn I testet my game "RockFort 3" with the new version, I noted that the very first cave (an intermission) will reload when you press Esc (and not, as it should be in intermissions, the next cave). At least in some of my games this is a big problem because some of my ints are actually unsolvable :D so the game can't continue.

I also checked BD1 intermissions- no problems there. Perhaps the problem occurs only if an int is selectable at the start?

PS I don't know anymore why F2 was suicide instead of S ;)
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
CWS

Post by CWS »

As long as it is definable it makes no difference if it is F2 or S. I think.
cirix

United UI + particle effects

Post by cirix »

Hi guys, I uploaded a new test (unstable) version of GDash to the google code website http://code.google.com/p/gdash/. This version now introduces the united user interface. No separate gdash and sdash anymore: even the Windows version will use GTK+ for the editor and SDL for the game automatically. (Hope that it will be fast enough for fine scrolling.)
The new version also has particle effects: http://youtu.be/SideJ3nYdLE .

cirix
cirix
CWS

Post by CWS »

Great new version! I'm loving it! :)

I think it was the best idea to combine both parts the game and the editor. And I think it was solved wisely.

The new particle effect is really nice! Looks very arcade-like! And for the purists there is even an option to turn it off. So everybody should be happy! :)

One thing: I somehow set random colors for the caves. How can I switch it to the regular behavior? I do not like random colors...
cirix

Post by cirix »

Yes, I recommend playing Arno's Exploding Dash I and II with the new effects :D
Cave random colors should not be activated automatically. Only on pressing F2 during playing. It is supposed to work like that if you do not like the colors, you press F2 to get another set. If this feature is somehow activated without pressing F2, then we have a bug :D
cirix
CWS

Post by CWS »

I can, of course, switch colors with F2. But they stay. If I restart the game the original colors are not used. How can I deactivate random colors - or is it really a bug?

Edit: I just noticed that the colors are always the same for each level, no matter which game I load. So they are not that much random. I tried to use another theme but it's the same with other colors. E.g. with BD-1-theme cave A is always blue/magenta. The original cave colors are never used. I see the right colors in the editor but as soon as I click on test cave I get the colors described above...
subotai

Post by subotai »

Looks very good, the new version. The scrolling is much smoother, you fixed the slime permeability and added some nice new features and functions. Thanks for that :-)
Fullscreen isn't supported yet?
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

This version is great! The scrolling is definitely improved and looks a lot smoother now.

Happy that the white flash was in this version too. All those nice finishing touches make it all so much better ;)

Can't wait to see the stable version. This one has been great. I've had some crashes on the editor, but that's to be expected!

There was a crash when I tried to import Boulder Dash 1.bd in the editor. In the game it was fine. I'm not sure why but it's probably editor-related and also very minor.

Overall, very well done. Lots of things appear to be better. The scrolling was the main one, but I love the arcade feel now it's so much better.

Will there be more editor options? Like editor PAL/2x nearest mode, I always used that while editing caves and would love to see that again if it was possible.

All up a great update!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

@subotai: F11=fullscreen :)
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

The particle effects are really cool! 8)
If I press fire while Rockford comes out at the start, the game counts that as giving up and restarts the cave with one life less (a bug?).

And there's another intermission bug: if any intermission is left via the Esc button, it restarts (instead of the next cave)! Only if the int is left with fire (after Rockford is crushed or time is up), the next cave comes.
subotai

Post by subotai »

Dustin wrote:F11=fullscreen
Thanks Dustin :-)

@cirix: what do you think about joystick/gamepad support? This is very easy to implement with sdl. Keyboard controls are sufficient, but joystick support would be a nice feature.
cirix

Post by cirix »

it was there since ages, but i forgot to call the initialization routine in the last release :) so it will work in the next version.
subotai wrote:@cirix: what do you think about joystick/gamepad support? This is very easy to implement with sdl. Keyboard controls are sufficient, but joystick support would be a nice feature.
cirix
cirix

gdash 2013 03 17

Post by cirix »

Ok, soooo Rockford got a rocket launcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEgMa0PP9F4 .

Here it is, a new version, which can be downloaded from the usual URL, http://code.google.com/p/gdash/ .

It is still considered alpha. However, many new features are added and bugs are fixed:

- new rocket launcher element
- joystick support fixed
- different options window and keyboard control settings window
- settings in editor mode
- intermission reloading bug fixed
- replay saver freezes fixed
- strange particle colors on mac ppc fixed
- compiling on older c++98 compilers (util.cpp:174) fixed
- opening directory on pressing l and c - fixed
- cave importing: caves with zero time -> 999s, fixed
- lots of new caves imported from arno's boulder dash game base
- any2gdash importer integrated into gdash. gdash can now load vice c64 snapshots and memory dumps directly.
- title screen bad positions of tex for Boulderdash-ux.bd, fixed
- alt+enter for fullscreen (f11 still works)
- particle effects for very small caves - fixed
- non-black backgrounds work again
- CWS boulder 3 (nitro acid cave) scrolling problem fixed
- game help in editor works again
- volume setting on f9 for game
- pressing 'up' to go back in settings window works again
- brc import color fix
- editor saving file bug fixed
- rockford + guards explosing timing problems fixed (rockford could touch the fireflies sometime)
- pal emulation tuned a bit
- pal emulation for particle effects
- crash on loading files with own title screen fixed
- translations updated
- translation loading fixed

Regarding bugs: sometimes I receive duplicated bug reports, and sometimes there are bug reports for gdash floating around in another topics in these forum (for example, in the xdc topic). There is a bug report tool provided by google on the google code website (http://code.google.com/p/gdash/issues/list), in which anyone can report any kind of bug. Files, for example screenshots can be attached, too. Please use that tool, I think it would greatly help me.

Regarding translations: it would be nice to have the game in other languages, so I'm looking for translators. :) If anybody is a native speaker of English, corrections on that version are welcome, too!
cirix