Hello :)

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

iprice

Hello :)

Post by iprice »

Hello to all of you fellow BD fans:)

My name is Ian and I'm a BoulderDash addict. There I've said it. I guess that's the first step in the program :P

Now for the boring bit -

I've been a fan/addict since first playing BD on my mate's C64 and then on my CPC way back in 1985, I think...

I learned to code on my CPC and came up with numerous similar games to BD, as well as continuing to play the real thing (especially BDCK) and a homebrew game called Splatch! and a tribute game called RockHopper.

Anyway, I moved onwards and upwards to the Amiga and Balder's Grove etc. I also bought the BDCK again. I then started coding on the Amiga, and again came up with small clones of BD.

Then in about 2000 I moved to the pc and started programming for that too. And you'll never guess what I coded... Ok, you might. Yep! A BD clone. Called RockRush. Which was followed up by Xmas Rush a seasonal update of the first game. Both games were available on the BD-Fans website - http://www.bd-fans.com/FreewareMSDOS.html (scroll down a bit). Unfortunately both games are DOS based, so probably don't work on XP or Vista machines nowadays. :(

Anyway, I've moved onwards and upwards (or downwards now, actually) and have started the process of porting and updating my own games for the GP2X and Wiz handheld gaming devices.

Here's a couple of images from my original PC game

And here is a screenie from the Wiz version (scaled x2)

And here is the game running on an actual Wiz, showing the "Homage" mode.

All elements from the first two BD games are in and working (although the timing might be a tad different) - I'm not trying to get the game to be 100% accurate, but it's pretty close I think.

It's coming along very nicely, although there is still some stuff to to, including adding all the sound.

Anyway, that's my story. Hope I didn't bore you to death :)
I came. I saw. I played.
Arno
Site Admin

Re: Hello :)

Post by Arno »

Welcome Ian! :)
Yes, I remember Rock Rush - I've been playing the pc version some years ago. Nice clone!