Tutorial 1: How to play the C64 Boulder Dash on pc?

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Tutorial 1: How to play the C64 Boulder Dash on pc?

Post by Arno »

Version 1.0, 22-04-2007

This tutorial explains in full detail how you can play Boulder Dash, and other C64 games, on your pc. However, it is asumed that you're using Windows as your operating system, and that you have some experience with playing games on the Commodore 64.

1. Download an emulator.

This is a program which mimics a Commodore 64 on your pc. Several emulators are available, but we will use WinVICE (because it's my personal favourite :wink: ).

- Go to: http://www.viceteam.org/

- Download the latest version from VICE for MS-Windows.

- Extract the content of the zip-file into a new path, which you've given a name like "Vice". (Never used zip-files? Download WinZip first from http://www.winzip.com/)

- To start VICE, go to the path "Vice" and doubleclick on the executable file "x64.exe". The C64 emulation program will start now.

2. Download .d64 files.

A .d64 file is a file which behaves like a floppy-disk from the C64. Just like a floppy-disk, it contains one or more games. (Note that games can also be stored on .t64 (tape images) or .prg files.)

- A huge collection of other BD games can be found at Martijn's BD fan site. Also note the sites from Marek Roth and Firefox where you can download a lot of Boulder Dashes. And of course you can download my BD games from my site.

- If you want to play one of the original Boulder Dash I, II or III, you'll have to search for them by yourself. Sadly, it's impossible for me to put any downloads of these games on my site.

- Remark: usually the .d64 files are downloaded into zip-format, so you need to extract them first.

3. Use the .d64 files with your emulator.

If you have VICE running you can start your games as follows.

- Go to the "file" menu.

- Choose "attach disk image" and "drive 8".

- You get window that looks like an explorer. Search into this explorer for the .d64 file containing your game. Click on this file.

- Under "Image contents" you can view the contents of this disk. Doubleclick on the game you wish to play and it will be loaded and started automatically.

- To be able to play you only have to adjust the controls. Go to the "Settings" menu and choose "Joystick settings". Under "Joystic port #1" you choose "Keyset A". Click on "Config keyset A" and set the keys the way you want to use them. For example the arrowkeys, combined with the left ctrl for the "fire button". You don't have to adjust diagonal directions like north-west. Click OK.

- Now it's still possible that your keys aren't working when you try out a game. This is because the C64 has two joystick ports. By clicking on "Swap joystick" in the "Options" menu (or pressing alt-J) the to ports will be swapped, and everything should work properly now.

4. Play Boulder Dash I.

In order to learn Boulder Dash, I think it's the best to start playing the original Boulder Dash I.

- Run Boulder Dash I in VICE. The titlescreen will appear immediately.

- Press F1. You'll see a menu in which you can select (using the arrowkeys) a cave to start in: A, E, I or M. Press fire button to start the game.

- You can walk with Rockford using the arrowkeys. By pressing the firebutton and an arrow key at the same time, you can dig without moving Rockford. You can pause by pressing the spacebar. If you've got stuck in the game, you can give up your try by pressing escape (run-stop on the C64). By pressing F1 or PageUp (restore on the C64) you return to the titlescreen.

5. Play other Boulder Dashes.

Have you succeeded to complete all the caves from Boulder Dash I? Then try for instance Boulder Dash III and after that game try Boulder Dash II. Also Arno Dash 1 shouldn't be too hard now. Are you able to complete all these games? Congratuations! You are already a real BD freak now. But there are certainly many challenges within the huge number of fangames, which can be downloaded from the net!

If you still have any questions, or if you need a bit more explanation on some topic, just let me know by mail, or reply on this topic!

Good luck! :D
Last edited by Arno on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Once you download both the game files and WinVICE, you have another option to run the games-

1. Double click and .d64 file and you'll get a window with two options

2. Select "Select the program from a list" and click OK. You'll be presented with a list of programs. If winvice is already on this list, go to step 4. If not, continue to step 3.

3. Click "browse..." and go through the directories to locate the x64.exe in the winvice folder (It must be unzipped before you do this step!) Click the exe and then click "open".

4. Make sure the vice emulator is selected in the program list, and click OK.

5. Now you can instantly run any .d64 game by double-clicking on it!

[EDIT]
If a d64 file has a an individual file, which must be loaded on its own, you will need to load winvice and do the "attach disk image" routine to select that single file.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.